Answered By: Jennifer Daugherty Last Updated: Sep 15, 2016 Views: 80
Answered By: Jennifer Daugherty
Last Updated: Sep 15, 2016 Views: 80
NW corner of Market Street and Fifth Avenue
197 feet or 60.0456 meters
Sidewalk to top of spire
- The spire is the same height as the one that toppled over in 1996 during Hurricane Fran.
- The taller spire was replaced at the same height it was in its original state – 197 feet.
- It was completed originally in 1861 and was completed the second time in 1998.
- The First Baptist Church eastern spire was said to be the tallest church spire in the United States, according to Tony P. Wrenn in his 1984 book Wilmington, N.C.: An Architectural and Historical Portrait.
- First Presbyterian Church comes in close second with 172 feet or 52.4256 meters from sidewalk to the top of the rooster on the spire.