Answered By: Carla Sarratt Last Updated: Jun 07, 2017 Views: 101
The annual book sales are organized and operated by dedicated volunteer Friends of the Library, to sell used materials donated by the public.
Book sales occur multiple times throughout the year with full information posted on the Friends of the New Hanover County website as well as NHCPL's website.
Book sale profits are used by NHCPL for things like:
- Buying extra copies of best-selling books, CDs, and DVDs to cut down waiting lists
- Buying new books to help preschoolers get ready to read, through the library’s Smart Start Growing Readers program
- Starting new library collections like ebooks, Playaways, and graphic novels
- Replacing out-of-date formats like videos and cassettes with DVDs and CDs
- Funding library experiments with new technology like ebook readers